With almost everything done online these days you must be aware of the potential security threats that could be possible to you and your information. Follow the tips below to safely and securely manage your online privacy.
What social media sites do you use? (e.g. Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram)? What apps do you use? (e.g. weather, Candy Crush)? Make sure to keep a running list so you don’t forget one and have the privacy settings slip under your radar.
It is really important that your permission and privacy settings on social media accounts and apps are set to where you want them to be – just don’t accept them blindly. All of those Terms and Agreements that you just say “Okay” to…read them!
Permission settings control what can be accessed and shared about you (e.g. contact lists, photos, and your profile) by a social networking site or mobile app.
Privacy settings control who can see your profile and private posts.
I would like to share 6 tips to protect you and your family’s online privacy and security:
- Keep an eye on your permissions & privacy settings – You may be sharing more than you intended.
- Only connect & share with people that you know in real life.
- Be careful before you click – Never click on suspicious links, even if they look interesting.
- Turn off geo-tagging on your devices – Avoid sharing your location.
- Set strong passwords:
- A good password is at least six characters (numbers, letters, etc.) long
- How to make your password stronger: Use the first letters of a phrase (instead of a word), or change some letters into numbers/other characters.
- Don’t forget to log out of apps and sites – If not, you could be vulnerable to security and privacy risks.