Christmas Events in Ottawa
Our city has lots of holiday events to keep you and your family busy this year! Read on to see what interests you.
Christmas Markets & Craft Shows – Starting in November Ottawa will host numerous craft shows and Christmas markets throughout the city. These are a great spot to browse, gift shop or just walk through to get into the holiday spirit. These events take place anywhere from local farmer’s markets to the Canadian Museum of History. Click the link to see which one works for you!
Christmas Carols & Holiday Concerts – Ottawa will host a plethora of performances from church choirs caroling to celebrities performing at the NAC. Some highlights include Jann Arden, the Ottawa Brahms Choir, Colin James and more.
Santa Claus Parades – This might be the most traditional family event of all during the holiday season. Click the link to find out when the parade will be in your area. Bundle up, pack a thermos of hot chocolate and hit the parade route to see all of your local businesses on their amazing floats plus Santa himself!
Christmas Tree Lighting & Light Shows – A great event for the whole family and many of these are free. There are a number of tree lighting ceremonies around the City and light shows. Everywhere from Wesley Clover Parks to Parliament Hill and the Museum of History. Not to be missed!
A SPECIAL MENTION goes to Magic of Lights that is in its second year and takes place at Wesley Clover Parks.
Magic of Lights is comprised of festive and vibrant LED lighted displays celebrating the joy of the holidays. A “drive through” experience from the comfort of your own car, the Wesley Clover Parks Campground route will be overflowing with spectacular light displays and animations where holiday themes will come to life in sparkling lights. Magic of Lights is truly a holiday family tradition and will be for years to come.
Select proceeds from each carload admission will once again benefit the Ottawa Senator’s Foundation, last year’s event raised over $47,000 for this very deserving charity!
Pile everyone in the car and bring them out to see the lights!
Wesley Clover Parks holds amazing events year round and is just a two minute drive or 5 minute cycle from our gorgeous listing at 4 Brookbend Crescent. This quality-built Uniform home features loads of living space and privacy plus with a beautiful backyard backing onto a lush ravine. Minutes from amenities and an easy commute to work in Kanata Hi-Tech, the new DND and more!
Sens Rink of Dreams – Not to be missed! The Sens Rink of Dreams is at City Hall and you can skate there for FREE from December 4 to March 7. Skate rentals are available.
Radon: What You Need to Know
We attended a seminar this month that was completely about radon gas and what WE and YOU need to know. It was very enlightening.
What we learned:
- Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas released when uranium in soil and/or rock breaks down. Radon is invisible, odourless and tasteless. Radon does not tend to be a health issue outdoors, as atmospheric mixing dilutes the gas to low concentrations. However, in a confined space – like a basement – radon can accumulate to high levels, which can present a health risk.
- Most homes in Ontario have radon gas levels that are acceptable and not a danger.
- Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer next to smoking.
- If you don’t want to hire a professional company to do the testing you can do the testing effectively yourself.
- Be PROACTIVE! Everyone should do a personal radon test in their home in order to have proof that there are no unacceptable levels of gas. This protects yourself and your investment when it comes time to sell.
- Make sure you do the 3 month testing period! False positives are known to happen so a 3 month testing period ensures you get an active reading. Also, the 3 month test will provide you with proof of the results so you can keep them on file for when you need to sell your home.
- If you do the test yourself you will send it in to be read, you will then receive a report stating what the results are. These will constitute as proof of your readings.
- For a Do It Yourself kit call here to purchase a kit from Ottawa Public Health, 613-580-6744.
- Test the lowest level of your home where you spend the most time. For example a lower level family room is a better spot to test than a basement storage room.
- For a list of companies that do radon testing, visit the Canadian National Radon Proficiency Program (C-NRPP) or call 1-855-722-6777.
- Once you do a test, those results will be the same forever…unless you do a foundation renovation or an addition.
- If you bought a new home, and are still within the 7 year Tarion Warranty, the remediation of unacceptable levels of radon gas will be covered by this warranty.
- Typical remediation costs for those not covered are between $600 and $3,000.
If you have any questions at all or if anything needs clarification please feel free to contact us at 613-592-6400 or Carole@EvansTeamOttawa.com